Monday, May 14, 2012

Musical {Chicago}

Well... it has been about 2 years since my last post, so I know you are dying for my most recent Musical!! What have I been doing the past two weeks? I shall tell you in my next post! It has been insane to say the least. But, I am hopefully getting back into the swing of things. So without further ado... 


This week I am going to be talking about Chicago

All Pics via google
I am going to be referencing the 2002 film adaptation directed and choreographed by Rob Marshall. It of course had its stellar cast: Renee Zellweger, Richard Gere, and Catherine Zeta-Jones! In the avenue of musicals, this particular adaptation has received a lot of credit and has been widely viewed. One of those reasons may be that it won "Best Picture" at the 2002 Academy Awards. This was the first musical to win "Best Picture" since Oliver in 1969! So, chances are... a lot of you have seen this one. 

Renee Zellweger as Roxie Hart!
There are a lot of elements in this musical that are appealing to audiences. To start it off, the musical is set in the 1920's. The 1920's still fascinate people over 90 years later. I mean, what girl out there hasn't been a flapper for Halloween? It is such a fun decade and continues to be the setting for many Hollywood blockbusters.

Richard Gere as Billy Flynn and Catherine Zeta-Jones as Velma Kelly.
So our breakdown of the plot is nothing new to our 1920's lovers. It is about two murderesses, Roxie Hart and Velma Kelly. This is the time period when criminals turned into celebrity headlines overnight! We have Roxie Hart who is a housewife who lands herself in jail, and Velma Kelly who is a nightclub sensation who also landed herself in jail. They both find themselves fighting for the spotlight on Chicago's famous Murderess Row. Lucky for them, they also share the same lawyer, Billy Flynn. He is infamous for turning notorious criminals into local stars, which of course is what will keep them from the gallows. The only problem is, Chicago only needs one star!

Velma or Hart?
I of course can't get enough of this musical because of the singing and dancing! Zellweger and Zeta-Jones do a great job carrying the music, but they get a little help from Queen Latifah who does a fantastic job as Matron "Mama" Morton. Some of the smash songs are: "When You're Good to Mama," "Cell Block Tango," "I Can't do it Alone,"Mister Cellophane," and "All that Jazz." There are so many other great songs!


My favorite song from the show is "Cell Block Tango!" This song is so much more than just singing though. The dancing is absolutely incredible. There is also a stinkin' cool tap-dance scene with Richard Gere in the film! I have included the "Cell Block Tango" video for you to check out! 



If you guys haven't checked this film out, please do! You won't be disappointed. It is full of scandal, deceit, and murder! And all portrayed through song and dance - yeah, awesome! 

Until next week musical lovers, 


2 comments:

  1. Cell block Tango is hot hot HOT, but I'm a bit disappointed you didn't mention the FASHION!!! Hello, even the thigh highs are awesome!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! You would! I wanted to go on and on about some of the costuming, but I didn't want it to come off as a 1920's craze! I was hoping that the time period would just suggest awesome clothes, but you would show me the error in my ways :) I believe it was you who first made me watch this, by the way!!

    ReplyDelete