Monday, April 23, 2012

My Thoughts on Earth Day

I try to be as eco-friendy as I can without being a crazy tree-hugger, and I usually treat "Earth Day" just like any other day. This year isn't too different except my sister invited me to come listen to her preach at her church, and knowing my sister, I knew it would be "earthy."

Pic via google 
My sister is the reason I even reduce/recycle as much as I do. If I don't, I get lectures all the time. She is really into protecting the earth and reducing waste. I appreciate this aspect of her, but I'll admit, sometimes I think she is kinda cra cra (this is short for crazy)! But I, of course, wanted to support her at her church and I went, even though I most likely have strep throat (I secluded myself from everyone though, so I wasn't out spreading this junk). 

My lovely sister, Jill!
I am really happy I did. She preached about the connection between "creator God" and "covenant God." She wanted to get across was that the God that Christians serve and worship also created the heavens and the earth. We often get tied up in the fact that we are God's creation and focus so much on the human aspect of Christianity that we forget to appreciate the "creator of the universe" aspect of Christianity. That to serve God, we should also take care of the rest of what he created. We sometimes take our "earth" for granted and forget that just like us, God created it. She said something that really hit me, "God cares about more than just us; he cares about all of his creation." I hate to admit that I have never really thought about that, but it is time that I do. 

So, I wanted to give a little shout out to Earth Day! I recently discovered the whole "Meatless Monday" thing - have any of you heard about this, or am I way behind? I am thinking about giving it a try (just personally, probably not start a campaign or anything). If the title doesn't give it away, you don't eat any meat products on Mondays. What good does that do? Well, if everyone just cut out one day of meat-eating, extreme amounts of animals would be saved. Don't get me wrong, I like meat. What I don't like is that we mass produce animals just for food. I don't mind animals for food, but the whole mass production, assembly line thing kinda breaks my heart. One meatless day would also reduce our carbon footprint drastically.  

So, do any of you participate in "Meatless Monday?" Or is there something else that you do to help the environment? Like I said earlier, I am not a tree-huggin' hippie, but I do love to help in anyway that I can to preserve the earth. 

I would love to know your thoughts or tips in honor of Earth Day! 



No comments:

Post a Comment