Monday, January 9, 2012

Musical {South Pacific}

Ok, Monday Musicals start today (even though it is technically the second Monday of the year, oh well)! Like I said in my earlier post, my sweet friend Johnny and I have made a goal in 2012 to watch a musical a week. To stay motivated to do this, I have decided to post about each of them on this here blog for all of my readers (the hundreds I have) to enjoy. 

The musical that started it off was South Pacific!



I have been wanting to see this musical for some time just so I could sing along with "Some Enchanted Evening" and "I'm Gonna Wash that Man Right Outta My Hair!" So, I had some pretty high expectations. 

The plot of the movie is pretty cute: On a South Pacific island, during World War II, a cute little nurse from Little Rock and a mysterious Frenchman fall in love. Throughout the movie, she struggles with the fact that she doesn't know him that well, and she can't decide if she should be with him or not. There is also a side love story going on between a Marine Lieutenant and a Tonkinese beauty. I don't want to give too much of the plot away (because this blog is going to inspire you to go rent this little classic), but it isn't too hard to predict that a big jumble of love mess takes place in the film.

My feelings on the film are a little mixed. I watched the film extremely late and I had high HIGH expectations. So, I was a little disappointed. I loved some of the songs, but others I didn't like at all. I did however adore the two love stories. It was one of those musicals that when it hit intermission at an hour and a half, I thought it was almost over - but nay, there was another hour remaining. In most musicals I watch, I don't realize that they are so long, but this one I did. The first 30 mins or so was a lot of fun, but then it started to drag in the middle. It does pick up after the intermission, however. 

After all was said and done, I was glad that I had seen it, but it just wasn't all that I had hoped for it to be. Overall, it has a cute plot line and some stinkin' cute songs. So, if you are a musical lover, you definitely need to check it out (and you will probably love it). My two best friends almost crucified me when I told them I wasn't the biggest fan (oops), but Johnny was on my side! Oh well, it has won some major awards and is considered one of the greatest broadway musicals ever. So, musical lovers, go check it out and give me your feedback. 

I hope that these little reviews (if they can even be called that) inspire you all to go pick up a musical this week and watch it - perhaps South Pacific! I am a lover of musicals, so please suggest some of your favorites for me to check out! 




3 comments:

  1. The musical was an iron fist in a velvet glove. This is definitely one which has to be placed in its historic context. It was radical, daring, and volatile for its day with its in your face look at bigotry, racism, and prejudice. A blonde falling in love with a Frenchman with half-breed children! Shocking! A daring hero in love with a dark woman! Oh my! This movie was based in a time where racism was still rampant against blacks, Asians, and anyone different. Many people of a certain generation did not like it for those reasons. I have heard it was banned in some southern theaters as well. Sometimes a so-so movie hides a wallop of a story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crucify her! :) Just kidding! I think we should go see it live and maybe you'll like it more. Wanna take a road trip? :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete